Thursday, February 7, 2013

A little history...AFRICA...and the birth of Ovadia Ministries

This year, I may have an exciting adventure. I have poured out my heart to God through prayer, song and tears. Asking for His blessing for me to set foot on African soil. This very well may come to fruition. If not this year, then soon!

It is no secret our faithful God has laid on my heart the needs of the children of Africa. There was a time when I was specific about a location. In my own arrogance I TOLD the Lord where I was going and where I was NOT! I made it very clear to Him (and everyone who would listen to me babble on about it) what I would do and would not do.

Many many years ago I thought I would go into the medical field. I though with my medical training I would be able to better serve the children of Africa who have contracted HIV/AIDS. I went through a trade school, which was unaccredited at the time - stupid me - and graduated on Dean's List as a Medical Assistant. 

A few years ago I thought the Lord was taking me to Africa to love on the children, to just lend a helping hand. Then I was thinking maybe sign language was the way I wanted to go. I went through several classes, to the point where I was able to take the state exam to become 'ASL certified' to be an interpreter for the deaf or hard of hearing. The desire wasn't strong enough to pursue fully.

As I sat at a desk working for a nonprofit organization, reviewing nonprofit organizations, I started to wonder 'Is this job just a stepping stone for me? What am I supposed to be learning while doing all this tediousness?' Prayers went up as I was deciding Christ's direction for my life. In all honesty, prayers continue to go up for direction.

After working for the same office for over four years, I prayerfully decided to stay home with our newborn daughter. I knew this meant being poor, very poor. I knew this meant cutting back on anything that was a want. But I also knew that I had faith that the Lord would be our provider. In this time, I put my full trust in Him.

In no way am I suggesting it was easy or that, in the beginning disconnect notices didn't flow in or rent was a month late, making it two months due or that we didn't know where the next meal would come from. There were a few times I cried out to God 'WHY?' However, in all of it, I still strongly felt I was meant to be home with our children. Every time I'd cry out, the Lord provided. None of the utilities were cut off, we didn't get evicted, random checks would show up in the mail and loving people (sometimes strangers) would deliver meals. All of this without us asking or telling anyone what we needed! Who can't see God in that?

The year 2012 was a pretty big year for my husband and I. He has fully surrendered his life to Christ's call and has stepped up to lead a new youth group. His testimony has brought many to want to know more about the God we serve. He was sponsored for the Walk to Emmaus and was forever changed! He has been a blessing to me in more ways than he will ever know. He is becoming the warrior Jesus wants him to be!

I was extremely blessed to lead a ladies bible study about dancing with Jesus. And OH, How I Did Dance in His arms! In this study I learned that my God fights for me, He is my defender! He is my fortress, my refuge! The Walk to Emmaus was an experience I pray I never forget! I grew so much spiritually this year.

The Lord has paired us together for a reason! And man am I glad He did!!

Fast forward into the new year - 2013. 

A dozen months have gone by where I have prayed, and have had my husband pray about sending clothes to the orphans in Africa. How do you do that? How can we afford to do that even if we figure out HOW to do that? I need connections - Lord, please send me connections! And why clothes? Why not funds? That's so much easier, less complicated. But with God, nothing is complicated!! Through Him all things are possible.

Doors opened...prayers are answered...donations are welcome and needed (any for infants up to 15 years)...and a plan is being established. We are in deep prayer about starting the nonprofit organization to meet the needs of the orphaned in Africa. Today the clothes will go to several villages in the Congo (the place I TOLD the Lord I was NOT going)! Tomorrow it may be Sudan or Uganda (the place I TOLD Him I WAS going). I dare NOT tell the Lord where or what I will be doing, instead I say 'Lead the way!'

Right now I am simply being obedient to the call; I am praying a lot...and I am learning to stop and LISTEN to His response.

Yesterday, He spoke to me! Well, not audibly but by His Word. Through days of prayer, actually begging for His voice, His presence, His vision through starting Ovadia Ministries, I heard Him loud and clear. Through a tender kiss from my daughter's baby doll as she sat beside me while I prayed, I felt Him say "I'm with you and you are My Princess." When I opened my Bible, immediately I was open to Proverbs 16. I cried. The Lord DOES speak! We just have to open our hearts to listen!

Proverbs 16:3

Commit your work to the Lord,
and your plans will be established.



Meaning behind the name Ovadia Ministries:

Ovadia is Hebrew and means "Worker of the Lord" or "God's Servant"

(The mission statement for Ovadia Ministries is being derived.)


No comments:


My Garden by My Husband